Mission & Purpose of Taskforce
In 2014, the Massachusetts Legislature authorized the creation of a task force on child sexual abuse prevention (SECTION 34. Chapter 431 of the acts of 2014, as amended) to be co-chaired by the state’s Child Advocate and the executive director of the Children’s Trust.
The basic purpose of the Taskforce is to develop the guidance, tools and sexual abuse prevention and intervention frameworks that will support Massachusetts YSOs in their efforts to better protect the children and youth entrusted to their care, and to create long-range plans and strategies for statewide community education about child sexual abuse and its prevention (see the specific Legislative language in Appendix 2).
The legislation also designates certain elected and appointed officials (or their designees) and organizations to serve on the Taskforce, and further states that the governor may appoint additional representatives from agencies serving children, law enforcement, religious organizations and others as necessary to fulfill the purpose of the Taskforce. 1 The legislative mandate and Taskforce and committee membership can be found in the appendices below.
- Executive Summary
- How to Read This Report
- Mission & Purpose of Taskforce
- A Brief History of How the Taskforce Was Organized
- The Charge of the Legislative Language
- Key Sections
- Section 1: Developing Policies and Procedures for Child Protection
- Section 2: Screening and Background Checks for Selecting Employees and Volunteers
- Section 3: Code of Conduct and Monitoring
- Section 4: Ensuring Safe Physical Environments and Safe Technology
- Section 5: Recognizing, Responding to, and Reporting Allegations and Suspicions of Child Sexual Abuse
- Section 6: Training About Child Sexual Abuse Prevention
- Additional Considerations
- Applying the Framework: A Five-Year Plan
- Definitions, Acronyms, Glossary
- Legislative Mandate
- Taskforce Committees and Membership
- Guest Presenters
- Schedule of Meetings
- Section-Specific Appendices
- Downloadable Resources
Take the Pledge to Keep Kids Safe
Join us and commit to learning how you can protect the children/youth you serve.
Sign Up to Access Your Learning Center
Customized child sexual abuse prevention guidelines to meet the unique needs of any organization that serves children.
- Evidence-informed guidance
- Actionable prevention steps
- Keeps track of your progress
- Tailored learning tracks